Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

Converting the Realms

great article on converting the realms to 5e - http://newbiedm.com/2014/09/29/converting-the-2e-realms-to-5e/

As the writer states (which is exactly my issue as well).  In a previous post I wrote about setting my home game in the Forgotten Realms around the time period of the 2nd edition version of D&D, which would put us in Faerun in 1368DR. For those of you keeping track at home, the original boxed set of the Forgotten Reams placed the timeline at 1357DR, the second edition, which is the one I’m using, advanced the timeline a decade, and the third edition takes place in 1372DR. The fourth edition version of the Realms moves the timeline up to 1479, and the 5th edition of the Realms begins in 1489. The reason I chose to play in the 2nd Edition version is because I own a lot of material for it, there are tons of materials for it online, and for me it is a good on-ramp, since I have a lot of access to what’s been written for it.

That's exactly it, I own a TON of material for 2e Forgotten Realms.  As a starting point I think I am going to run "Sword Of The Dales" and re-write/re draw the maps for the adventure in shadowdale.  I think I will also do as the author did and do away with Elminster for the time being. 

I don't know enough of the rest of the history of the Forgotten Realms, past the 2nd edition, so this makes perfect sense to me.

Take what you got a tweak it. 

Once I get them thru the first 2 adventures, I plan to move onto possibly menzoberranzan or the rest of sword of the dales trilogy.

As far as the PC's go, i am going with the races that are covered in the free basic rules for now.  One player has asked about the draconian s, but technically they won't exist in the realms in 1357DR.  However if he is adamant, then he will fall thru some sort of time loop. 

The other thought I have is re-writing and re-working temple of elemntal evil and secret of bone hill for the 5e game, this is an idea at this point.

Here are some conversion notes for 5e from 2nd edition http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2bj1hv/5th_edition_monster_conversion_guides_found/

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/47205/comparing-dd-mechanics-between-2e-and-5e


2 comments:

  1. I'm more of a 1e grey box + the North expansion kinda guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that. I grew up with 2nd edition. At the time my Mom was working in a bookstore so she got some pretty good deals I think.

      Delete